Cashew Cream (Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy Free)
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup soaking water
1 1/2 cups fresh water
Soak the cashews in water for at least 1 hour.
Drain and place in a high-powered blender.
Add fresh water.
Add flavors eg: garlic, lemon juice, saffron, nutritional yeast.
(This needs to be done to taste but start with 1/4 garlic clove crushed and smooth, a dash of lemon juice, a pinch of saffron, soaked in a little bit of boiling water first to release the colour, and a handful of nutritional yeast flakes.)
Blend on high until very smooth.
If your recipe requires an extra smooth cream, you can pass the mixture through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.
Chickpea Pancakes Serves 4 (Vegan, Gluten Free)
140g chickpea flour
½ tsp Himalayan salt
1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
Coconut oil for frying
1. Combine the salt, flour and water to make a thick batter
2. Stir in the rosemary
3. Leave to stand for 30 mins
4. Fry like pancakes using the just a smear of coconut oil in the pan
Eat rolled up with hummus, guacamole, roasted veggies, rocket, chunky cut veggie salad, cashew cream, or anything you like inside a savoury pancake!
Sweet Potato Bread (adapted from Hemsley and Hemsley)
makes 1 loaf
prep time 10 minutes
cooking time 45 minutes + 45 minutes
A medium-sized sweet potato
110g buckwheat flour plus flour for shaping bread once mixed
4 tbspn arrowroot powder (or extra flour)
1 tbspn ground flaxseed
1/4 tspn bicarbonate of soda
1 tspn sea salt
2 tbspn lemon juice
200g total of pumpkin, sesame, sunflower & poppy
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Cut the sweet potato in half lengthways and roast until tender (around 45 minutes).
2. Peel your potato and place 200g into a mixer and mix until smooth. You are looking for a dry sweet potato, so if it seems a bit wet as you scrape it out of the skin you may need to add a little more flour when combining the ingredients.
3. Add the flour, arrowroot powder, flaxseed, bicarbonate soda, sea salt and lemon into the mixer and mix until well combined.
4. Remove the mix and with floured hands, knead in the seeds.
5. Shape into a log (20cm long or so) and place into a bread tin loaf that is lined with baking parchment. This will just help to keep a nice shape, it will not rise much. Score the top as shown, this will help in cutting it and for it to dry out in the middle. Bake for 45 minutes.
6. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Cashew Cream (V, GF)
Chickpea Pancakes (V, GF)
Sweet Potato Bread (V GF)
This part of the site is still under construction